Can Application Approvals help OEMs reduce machine downtime? What is involved in the process? Is it straightforward, or are compromises necessary when dealing with new technology in mobile and off-highway equipment? Technological advancements are changing the world as we know it, and nowhere is this change more impactful than in the mobile and off-highway equipment industry. And when we take a deeper look, the change is two-fold:
- The technology coming out is cutting-edge, with its capabilities growing by leaps and bounds.
- The design of the vehicles and equipment that incorporate this new technology are required to adapt, change, and evolve in conjunction with the tech.
These two components present a problem for both the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and the supplier of components/systems that introduce this new technology. The fact of the matter is, finding a solution is no walk in the park.
Questions must be asked:
- How do you best incorporate the new technology into a traditional vehicle or equipment design?
- What are the performance boundaries for the technology and equipment in real-world applications?
- Who holds responsibility for continued performance to specification for a piece of equipment designed for years of service and thousands of hours of operation?
- Are there changes required in the approach of the design process itself? Or in the creation of the performance specification in the first place?
Most significantly, we must delicately look at the two parties involved. There is the equipment builder supplying intimate design knowledge. And there are the system and component providers who fully understand the new technology. Which raises the question: Can these two parties work together?
These questions and more are explored in this episode of Evolution in Controls. Here to assist Tim in navigating this complex subject is Terry Hershberger, Director of Sales Application Engineering at Bosch Rexroth. His over 28 years of experience help provide answers and a solution.
Be sure to learn more about Bosch Rexroth on their website!
Watch another episode
Direct-Wire Tethers vs. Radio Controls in Mobile and Off-Highway Equipment
The pros and cons between Radio Control Technology and Direct-Wire Tethers are discussed in this episode. Fritz Jaessing of LOR Mobile Controls returns to continue the conversation on Mobile and Off-Highway Equipment.